Job Title: Development Manager, Figure Skating in Detroit
Reports to: Site Director, Figure Skating in Detroit; see Position Structure section below
BACKGROUND/MISSIONFounded in 2017 as the first chapter of Figure Skating in Harlem (FSH), Figure Skating in Detroit (FSD) is a chapter of the only organization to combine the power of education with the grace and discipline of figure skating to build young leaders. We give girls 6-18 access to innovative afterschool and summer programs that advance their intellectual, emotional and physical health. Our mission is to help girls transform their lives and grow in confidence, leadership and academic achievement. For more than two decades, our award-winning programs have provided girls from low income communities with access to education, health and wellness services to help them reach their fullest potential. Our vision is for every student, regardless of socio-economic background, to acquire the foundational academic, social and leadership skills to achieve her dreams. She will be a powerful speaker, an effective leader, live a healthy lifestyle and be a global citizen.
Figure Skating in Detroit is recruiting for a development manager who would help lead the chapter’s fundraising and communications efforts. FSD raises approximately $400,000 annually from a diverse collection of individuals, foundations, corporations, parents and community groups. FSD is positioned to grow substantially over the next 12 months.
- Jointly with the FSD Site Director, stewarding and cultivating donor relationships, with a particular focus on donors at the $1,000 level and greater; coordinating with FSH leadership on certain asks
- Broadening the existing donor base to ensure a diverse and sustainable group of supporters
- Prioritizing grant writing and grants management directed toward current and potential corporate and foundation supporters: drafting letters of intent, proposals, reports and helping steward those institutional relationships
- Preparing thank you / acknowledgment / substantiation letters for review and approval by the FSD Site Director and FSH leadership
- Planning and executing fundraising events, including cultivation events and the major annual reception
- In the near term, helping organize FSD’s participation in the upcoming United States Figure Skating Championships (“Nationals”), which will take place at Little Ceasars Arena and the Detroit Skating Club in January of 2019
- Supporting the engagement of the FSD Advisory Council
- Devising a strategy to engage parents in fundraising and outreach / recruitment campaigns
- Engaging with the greater Detroit community to build media coverage and leverage partnerships that can drive revenue growth
- Helping coordinate Detroit’s sections of the FSH/FSD annual report
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of experience in philanthropy, fundraising and development required
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Ability to follow directions closely, take initiative, organize, work independently and collaboratively, prioritize, multi-task, follow-up and accomplish a variety of tasks and responsibilities simultaneously
- Ability to think analytically and be results- and detail-oriented, resolve problems quickly, provide tactful feedback
- Presence and comfort level to work with a diverse population
- S/he will thrive in a culture of contagious positive energy, high performance, and teamwork
- Flexibility to work periodic evenings and occasional weekends as needed
- Commitment to youth development and the empowerment of girls and interest in figure skating
Depending on an applicant’s level of seniority and experience, FSH/FSD is open to a variety of arrangements, including full or part time (at least 3 days per week) roles and status as either a consultant or an employee. FSD maintains office space in beautiful downtown Detroit, and on-site presence is required. Compensation will be commensurate with experience depending on an agreed-upon position structure.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and skills applicable to the position, along with compensation requirements and your desired position structure, to email@example.com with the email subject line “Development Manager.” No phone calls please.
Figure Skating in Detroit values its diverse community and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. Due to the high volume of resumes, FSD may not respond to all who apply. FSD is an equal opportunity employer.